December 11, 2009

The Pioneer Woman Cooks

A few years ago my friend Amy sent me a link to a blog written by a lady who grew up in a big city and then married a cowboy and moved to the middle of nowhere with him to raise cattle and their 4 kids. The Pioneer Woman chronicled ranch life, raising and homeschooling her children, taking really cool photographs of cows, horses, and kids, and cooking scrumptious heart-warming food. I was hooked, and kept reading and following her photography tips and cooking her food. Over the last three years her blog has grown from looking - well - somewhat like mine (homemade) to something very slick and fun. And she has thousands - maybe millions - of readers. She just published a cookbook, and is currently on a book tour. So I caught up with her in Atlanta. After waiting three hours it was my turn to have my book signed and all I could do was mumble something rather incoherent about loving her blog and blah blah blah.



She was sweet and nodded and said thanks. Bless her heart, she was on hour 6 of signing books so I know that I was just another fan in a sea of women who wish-we-could-be-like-her (though I'll stay in the city, thank you).

Her friend Hyacinth and her sister Betsy were also there. We had a nice little chat and they signed my book too. I love it when totally normal, nice people become quasi-celebrities.

4 comments:

darrennkrystin said...

She has an awesome recipe for cinnamon rolls with maple frosting. Have you tried them? SO good.

Marti said...

I totally would have gone with you!! Bummer!

Reid said...

you got ME hooked on her. just made her beef stew with mushrooms tonight (very yummy) and am hoping a copy of her cookbook will be under our tree. I think it will be since I ordered it myself!

Anonymous said...

Hyacinth here.....loved meeting you! And, trust me, we're not "quasi-celebs" - we're just like you!

Peace be with you,
Cyndi aka Hyacinth