May 29, 2009

Our Little Gingerbread Baker

For weeks and weeks and weeks Grayson has been begging to make Gingerbread Men cookies. I think he got the idea from one of his favorite books, Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf, which is a modern day tale about the Big Bad Wolf (B.B. Wolf) and features Gingerbread Men cookies which the Wolf does, ultimately, eat.

So on a rainy Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago we mixed up some cookies following The Joy of Cooking's reduced fat gingerbread cookie recipe and substituting some whole wheat flour for some of the white flour.

The dough was really easy to work with, so Grayson was able to do most of the rolling and cutting.

And of course the decorating. He put almost all of the raisens on himself.

Usually when I bake with Grayson he looses interest after a little while and I have to beg him to help me finish (or bribe him!).

Not this time. Baking these cookies was his idea, and he saw them through to the finish.

Which is actually not that surprising. This little boy is very independent. One of his first words was "self" as in I will do it myself, thank you very much, don't help me Mom!

I have fond memories of him yelling at me "NO - SELF - NO - SELF" when he could just barely say Mama.

So on this day he did the cookies all himself. And he loved every minute of it. Even watching them bake brought him joy.

And yum were they good.

No comments: