July 16, 2008

More Computer Woes

Yesterday my computer arrived from Brussels (it was shipped by air along with some of Grayson's toys - all the rest of our stuff takes 6 - 8 weeks as it travels across the ocean), and I am once again experiencing the trials and tribulations of moving a computer internationally. Back in October, 2006, in my very first blog post I wrote this:

I blew up 0ur computer!

Yes - literally - after a week with no computer it finally
arrived today. I unpacked it like it was Christmas morning.
Then I plugged it in and jumped about three feet off the
ground when it sparked and made a loud POP. Apparently
I needed to switch a little red voltage button on the back
before plugging it in. Now why couldn't I have learned this
lesson with my hairdryer????

A few days after writing that entry a Belgian computer guy replaced the power supply in the back of the computer and explained that it no longer had the little red button because it would automatically adjust depending on the voltage. At least that's what I think he said, but who knows given the language difference and my desperate desire to just have the thing work right away.

Well, not so much. My suspician is that the new power supply only works in Europe (220V), because when I try to turn it on nothing happens. So I'll be off to Best Buy to have the power supply replaced . . . again. I've been belgianed (a term my expat friends use when the locals aren't so nice to us foreigners) and I'm not even in Belgium!!

It's a shame, because yesterday I took some really cute pictures of Grayson during his swimming lesson. I'll post them as soon as I'm up and running again.

No comments: