May 08, 2008

Debbie D!

Back in high school I had two best friends - Sara and Debbie. We were Fletcherettes together, we ate salads together at Applebees on a regular basis, and we were so much alike. Since high school Debbie and I have stayed in touch, sending the yearly Christmas card, the occassional visit, but as time went on our lives went in different directions, or so I thought. So when she contacted me and said she was going to be in Europe and could she and her husband stop by I said YES - of course! What a great chance to catch up!

What I didn't expect was to find that after more than 10 years we are still so much alike. And our lives, while lived in different places, have grown in similar ways. She was living in New York, married, and with four little ones. I was in Atlanta, then Brussels, married, with one little one. She's a stay-at-home-Mom, and I am too. We're doing the expat thing in Brussels, they're seriously considering doing it in Barcelona.

And our husbands both love fast cars.

It was a great visit - short, but really wonderful. Catching up was so much fun. Sharing stories about our kids was so much fun. Showing them Brussels and telling them about expat life (the good, the bad, and the ugly) was great.

Miss Fletcher Contest 1993

So my friend Deb is still my very good friend. We may live thousands of miles apart but you would never know it.

1 comment:

Nonna said...

Dear Tony, Shannon and darling Grayson,

What a great blog of your adventures in Europe !

I am so happy Debbie and Garrett got a chance to visit. By the way, thanks for taking them to the shop for my Mother's Day present. Yummy !

Love and Best Wishes Always,
Lynn D. Debbie D's Mom

P.S. Miss Fletcher 1993 - I loved the pic...I can still go back in my mind and replay when you Piano accompanied Debbie for her song...two beautiful and talented young women shining on the stage...a stellar memory for me !