December 16, 2007

Christmastime in London

Christmastime in London is almost as exciting, vibrant, and over-the-top as it is in the U.S. Last week Grayson and I tagged along on Tony's business trip. I was a bit hesitant at first, because I knew it would be chilly in London. But I'm so glad we went. London at Christmastime is beautiful! Here are the highlights . . .


Double decker buses and Christmas lights in the West End

The department stores all try to outdo each other with elaborate lights and window displays



All the trees along Oxford Street were covered in blue lights

Hamley's is one of the world's largest toy stores. We spent several hours there playing with all of the toys they set out for the kids, including three separate Thomas choo choo sets!

More lights in the West End


The Christmas Tree at Trafalgar Square is given each year to London by the city of Oslo, Norway, in thanks for Britain's help during World War II (you can see Big Ben in the distance)

We were there a little over 2 years ago as well. Back then I spent hours wandering through the art museums with Grayson contentedly strapped to me . . . this trip was much different.

Every night there are carolers at Trafalgar Square

We rode the London Eye at night

Out the window Grayson spotted Big Ben, at which he yelled "that's Peter Pan's clock!"

It takes thirty minutes to ride all the way up and around the London Eye - plenty of time for photos

This was Grayson's second time riding the London Eye

He was such a cute baby, I just had to throw in another photo

A steel drum band in the West End, playing caribbean-style Christmas songs, including Grayson's favorite, Jingle Bells

A turkey at the Battersea Park Children's Zoo

At Selfridge's (a big department store) Grayson rode a choo choo . . .

on his way to meet . . .

Santa!

Since he already got his firetruck from Santa, this time he asked for an airplane

A gospel choir sang jazzy Christmas songs in Covent Garden

We sat in the street to listen

Grayson loved the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History

And we brunched at Le Pain Quotidien - our favorite Belgian cafe is in London!


Bye bye London - we loved you then, we love you now!

Top Ten reasons I love London:
  1. Everyone speaks English.
  2. There are 137 Starbucks in London. I know. I drank a latte from every one.
  3. There are 120 Gap stores in the UK. I know. I dragged Grayson into almost every one.
  4. There is no dog poop on the sidewalks.
  5. Splenda is always provided for your coffee, along with the cute sugar cubes.
  6. Everyone is so polite - even the guys on the sidewalk trying to get you to take a free newspaper call you "'mam" and tell you to have a nice day in a genuinely nice way, even if you refuse their papers.
  7. There are Borders and Waterstones and WH Smith, and they are all filled with books in English. Pure literary heaven.
  8. Did I mention the Starbucks?
  9. Did I mention that I drank massive lattes and cappucinos and mochas every day?
  10. And that they had basically zero calories because there was plenty of Splenda on hand?